A Y DNA test is a testing option that helps to determine if two or more males share the same paternal lineage. The Y chromosome is passed down relatively untouched from generation to generation from father to son. It should be noted that this will not differentiate men that are in the same paternal line. For example, if two men believe they are brothers that share the same biological father, a Y chromosome DNA test can be performed. If all the genetic markers match the results will reflect that the two men share the same paternal lineage. However, this means that the father’s brother(s) or father’s father could also be the father as they all come from the same male lineage. If the profiles do not match, then they do not share the same biological father.
How does the process work?
The process is simple.
Order your home DNA test kit online f or by phone.
- After you purchase your kit. Your kit will be shipped out to your home.
- Upon receipt of your kit, follow the enclosed instructions on how to collect your samples.
- Place samples back into the prepaid return shipping envelope going back to the lab.
- Once the lab receives all genetic samples involved with your test. please allow 5 to 7 business days for testing to be completed.
- Upon completion. A copy of your result will be mailed to your home and another copy will be emailed to you the same day.
Related Y DNA Testing Questions
How much does a Y Chromosome DNA Testing kit cost?
Pricing for this type of DNA testing begins at $350.00 and up. If you would like to purchase your home kit today. Please contact our office today at 866-205-8356 or purchase your kit on this page below.
When should I use Y DNA Testing?
The average turnaround time for you to receive your results will be 5 to 7 business days from the date on which the lab receives all DNA samples.
Do fathers and sons have the same DNA?
Fathers pass on their Y chromosome to their male children untouched. It is important to note that a child (son) has half of his father’s DNA and half of their mother’s DNA.
Can a Y Chromosome DNA Test determine paternity?
No. The Y DNA testing option helps to determine shared paternal lineage between two or males. If you are in need to determine paternity. Please visit our page for at-home paternity testing kits here.