Yes. Performing a DNA test to determine paternity can be done. It should be noted using a home DNA testing option using a toothbrush cannot be used for any legal purpose.
Results for a toothbrush DNA paternity test have an average completion time of 1 to 3 business days from the date the lab receives all genetic samples associated with your test.
If an alleged father, child, or both are unavailable to be tested and you are looking for answers. Using a toothbrush sample to perform a relationship test to determine paternity or another related relationship testing service may be a good option.
In order to properly use a toothbrush for paternity testing purposes. The first thing you must do is make sure the person you would like to have tested has used their toothbrush for at least 6 to 8 weeks. Next, assuming you a have toothbrush that has been used for the suggested timeframe. It is important that you make sure the toothbrush is moist. The toothbrush must be completely dry and placed into a paper envelope. Please do not use plastic Ziploc bags to store your samples. Plastic may accumulate moisture and contaminate your sample which may produce inconclusive results.
Unfortunately, Home DNA Tests cannot be used for legal purposes. Peace of mind tests do not follow the guidelines for establishing a proper chain of custody guidelines for a legal case.
It is not necessary to use two toothbrush samples if one of the participants is available to collect their own DNA samples via swabs that are enclosed in your DNA testing kit. If all parties are unavailable to collect their own samples then submitting two toothbrushes is another option to determine proof of a biological relationship. Please note, the cost of one toothbrush sample and DNA swab sample is less expensive than using two toothbrush samples. If you would like to purchase your home DNA test kit please contact our office at 866-205-8356 to get started.
The process is simple to get started.
1. First step, contact Paternity Express by phone or you can purchase a kit online here.
2. After you purchase your kit. Please allow 24 hours or the next business day for your kit to ship to your home.
3. Once the kit has shipped you will be sent an email with the tracking information going to your home.
4. After you receive your kit. Follow the enclosed instructions carefully on how to collect your own samples. Complete the chain of custody form. Place your samples and chain of custody inside of your prepaid return envelope.
5. Once your samples arrive at the lab. Please allow 1 to 3 business days for your results to be completed.
6. When your results are complete. One of our DNA relationship testing consultants will contact you and provide you with a result update. A copy will be sent to you by email and another copy will be sent by physical mail.
Please note: If you are a New York State resident you will not be able to purchase any Home DNA Testing kits due to the New York State Department of Health guidelines. Only legal DNA tests can be performed in New York State.